Coolings Green & Pleasant
Main Road, Knockholt, Kent TN14 7LJ
Monday to Saturday
and Public Holidays: 09:00 - 16:00
Sunday: 10:00 - 16:00
As a pet shop, we are exempt from the government's ban on shop closures. So we cautiously welcome you if you need any supplies during this time. However, whilst in the shop please observe the rules on social distancing in order to keep yourselves, other people and our team safe and well.
Using salt in aquariums and ponds
Blog post written by Gary | 25 August 2017 | Category: Pond maintenance
Using aquatic salt in aquariums and ponds has many benefits and helps to keep your fish fit and healthy.
Salt will help in the following ways:
- Reducing fish stress
- Stabilising water quality
- As a general tonic
- Protecting fish against harmful nitrite
- Improving the function of the gills
- Reducing the osmotic shock caused by ulcers or wounds
- Can be used with most aquarium and pond treatments to increase effectiveness
Salt dosage is usually used in 3 different concentrations:
- 0.1% as a general tonic and mild pH buffer
- 0.3% to minimize stress
- 0.9% to help when treating for dropsy, ulcers and fungus
Pond salt can also be used as a tonic dip at a concentration 28g per litre for 2-3 minutes which will clean the skin thoroughly.
Aquatic salt is best dissolved before adding into the aquarium or pond. Once added it will remain indefinitely and will only need replacing when a water change is carried out.
Blog posts by category
Aquarium and pond equipment
Feeding your fish
General fishy ramblings
General hints and tips
In the shop